Little Horseshoe Lake consists of two private fishing lakes, one stocked with carp and coarse fish, and the other lake for seasonal fishing.
The Carp Lake is very well stocked with Common and Mirror Carp, Crucian Carp, Tench, and Roach. Carp fishing is included when you book the Carp Lake lodges (Willow, Waterlily, or Island) and is done from the decks of these lodges. Lots of fun for the serious fisherman. Specimen carp (weighing up to 40 lbs) have been caught guaranteeing serious fun for dedicated anglers.
Experienced anglers staying at The Boathouse have access to seasonal fishing on Trout Lake. A dinghy comes with the Lodge.
Guests must bring their own equipment or buy it from The Tackle Den (one mile away). Open 7 days a week, they have serious kits for the experienced carp fisherman, fresh bait, etc., and are pleased to share their local fishing knowledge. Tel:01285 862716.
Day fishing only, no tent/bivvy/shelter and we do not provide any fishing equipment. Please review the fishing rules before booking.
Rules and Conditions
General – Day fishing only. No tent/bivvy/shelter
- Anglers fish at their OWN RISK. The Owners/Manager/Company do not accept any liability for injury to anglers or their party, or theft or damage to anglers’ property.
- Only anglers and visitors who have booked are allowed on the property. Any unauthorised visitors will be asked to leave immediately.
- Vehicles must be parked in the car park, and must not be driven off road.
- The Lodges are strictly No Smoking.
- No dogs or any other domestic Pets are allowed. No children are allowed.
- No swimming or wading in the carp Lake under any circumstances.
- Bedchairs and fishing chairs are not allowed in the Lodges as they damage the floors.
- The owner’s property is to be protected at all times. Any damages should be reported immediately to the Manager/Host.
- All litter must be removed.
- Disposable BBQs are permitted but they must be kept away from the decking area.
- All anglers to have the required number of Environment Agency fishing licences.
- Day fishing only. No tent/bivvy/shelter
Carp Lake Fishing
- Absolutely NO SACKS or keep nets allowed at any time.
- No fish are to be introduced or removed from the lake.
- Maximum of 3 Rods per angler. If two anglers are sharing a Lodge then a strict two-rods per angler limit applies.
- Bait Boats are allowed. Please stay within the area of your swim/pitch and fish sensibly.
- Fishing with rods and poles only – no hand lines no fly fishing.
- Leadcore is not allowed. No Leaders! No bare line above the lead weight.
- Tubing must be used. No straight-through line.
- Coarse pellet only – may be purchased from the tackle shop.
- No floating or surface baits, no dog biscuits.
- BREAD MAY BE USED ONLY AS A HOOK BAIT – IT MUST BE COMPRESSED AND SUNK.
- No meat of any kind including cat dog and luncheon meat.
- No braid allowed.
- Unused bait must not be left on the banks – remove all unused bait and litter.
- No fishing more than halfway across the lake.
- No fixed leads or feeders – must be free running.
- Strictly no Peanuts or Tiger Nuts at any time. Sweetcorn is allowed.
- No Shelf Life Boilies to be used as feed (whole or crushed). Pop-ups and hook baits are allowed.
- No screw-in rod pods or bank sticks.
- No Maggots to be taken into the Lodges. Maggot clips are not allowed.
- Swingers or some other form of bite indication on the line as well as audible alarms must be used.
- Audible alarms by the lake should not be used on full volume whilst Receivers in the Lodges can be as loud as you like! All alarms must have a receiver.
- During Spawning periods anglers must comply with any request to stop angling or to fish in areas without spawning activity. As soon as the activity is stopped Anglers will be invited to recommence fishing. We do not anticipate any issue from anglers to comply with this rule as it is to reduce Carp stress and prevent foul hooking at a time when they are preoccupied and not feeding.
- No anglers under 18 allowed. Anglers must be experienced to fish @ LHL because of the difficulty and size of the Carp.
- Anglers must use a Carp Cradle/ weigh slings and unhooking mats. Under no circumstances should fish be removed from the area of the cradle unless being put back in using the weigh sling. All photos must be taken on the bottom deck with the Carp being held above the Carp Cradle.
- Fish must always be transported from the Carp Cradle back to the water in the sling. Under no circumstances should a fish be carried in your arms.
- All fish should be returned as soon as possible. The sacking of fish is NOT allowed at any time.
- A Large Landing Net (Minimum 42 inches) must be used. No other Landing Nets are allowed.
- Barbless hooks are to be used at all times. No bent hooks(eg Korda, Mugga)
- A minimum breaking strain line of 15lb must be used for Carp fishing. This line should be reasonably new as old line breaks. A lighter line is allowed if you are clearly fishing for other species of fish.
- Rigs must be safe with the lead able to eject if the fish gets snagged. Korda-style clips are acceptable but the rubbers must not be forced down too tightly preventing the lead from ejecting.
- Zig rigs must have a minimum of 15 lb hook length line.
- Anglers must not leave their rods in the water unattended i.e. the angler must not be more than 15 meters away.
- No fixed leads or any other ‘death rig’.
- No baited rigs to be left on the rods when not in use. This is dangerous to wildlife.
- Klink- Inor similar for treatment of hook and other marks is encouraged and appreciated.
- Any angler not fishing with the correct equipment will be expected to purchase locally the missing items.
Whilst alcohol is not banned from the site, drunken behavior will not be tolerated. No shouting, loud music, or anti-social behavior. Please use the toilet facilities. When setting rods on alarms, please use your off switch to maintain the quiet on the lake. Alarms should be used at moderate levels. Any serious breach or repeated breach of the above will result in guests being asked to leave immediately with no refund.
Trout Lake Fishing
CATCH AND RELEASE
- Anglers to book prior to arrival.
- All anglers must be over 18 years old and hold a valid EA Rod Licence
- Single fly only, wet or dry, single fly no droppers
- Barbless hooks only
- Single hook only
- Blobs, boobies, and egg flies are not permitted
- Bite indicators/floats are not allowed
- Dispatch landed fish immediately
- High welfare standards are maintained, anyone seen mishandling fish will be asked to stop
- Do not handle or bank ‘Catch & Release’ fish unless absolutely necessary; keep them in the
- If you feel it necessary to carry large bags around the lakes, the management reserve the
right to inspect them on return from the water
- No dogs allowed
- Anglers must complete the ‘returns book’ for all catches, released or otherwise
- Management reserves the right to cancel any permit at anytime
- Management reserves the right to change or amend the rules at any time without prior
- The lakes are covered by high-power CCTV cameras and these rules are strictly enforced.
Anyone found contravening any of the above rules will be required to leave and forfeit their
catch and entry fee. They will not be re-admitted. Fishery staff has the authority to inspect
tackle, bags, other equipment and catch.
- No damage whatsoever to trees and wildlife.
- DO NOT DISCARD NYLON. Discarded nylon is directly responsible for the maiming and death
Whilst alcohol is not banned from site, drunken behaviour will not be tolerated. No
shouting, loud music, or anti-social behaviour. Please use the toilet facilities.
Any serious breach or repeated breach of the above will result in
guests being asked to leave immediately with no refund.