Little Horseshoe Lake is divided into two private fishing lakes, one stocked with carp and coarse fish, the other rainbow and brown trout. The lakes are surrounded by trees and grassy walks are the setting for our Architect designed contemporary lodges. Relaxing comfort in a beautiful park with great gastro pubs, shopping and exciting activities
Little Horseshoe Lake is very well stocked with some famous carp which weigh in up to 40 lbs. Bring your own equipment or hire from the Tackle Den which is about a mile away. The trout lake has brown and rainbow trout. Experienced fishermen welcomed. The fishing is included when booking one of the properties and you can also fish from the decking area of the three one-bed lodges that are on the carp lake. We do not provide any of the fishing equipment, please see fishing rules before booking.
As well as stunning lake side location, each lodge includes the following amenities:- Wi-fi (Due to the location unfortunately the internet can be slow sometimes, we don't have a fast optic fibre connection yet, but this doesn't get in the way of watching Netflix or other apps you can find on the smart TV), smart TV, Nespresso machine, Combi Microwave oven, Electric hob, Refrigerator(no freezer for the one-bed lodges but there is an ICE maker machine), Dishwasher, Cooking basics plus tea, coffee, sugar and a welcome pack also; Hair Dryer, Essentials, Heating, Hot water, indoor Fireplace, Free parking on premises, First aid kit, also available: iron and ironing board, washing machine and dryer.
The Lodges are adults only. We have a no child (including babies) policy and also, all properties are Pets-Free and Smoke-Free
"A must visit! The pictures don’t do it justice, much better in real life. Secluded and picturesque, perfect for a romantic weekend away. The local town only 10 minute drive, everything you need. Just an absolutely perfect place, 5 star.
"The home is straight out of a catalogue! The deck , fireplace, kitchen, interiors, the water, the quaint walk trails outside - it's beautiful! The house is very thoughtfully stocked up and clean. We had a wonderful time, would be back soon!"
Angela is a Superhost · Superhosts are experienced, highly rated hosts who are committed to providing great stays for guests.
If fishing's not for you, the Lodges are situated in beautiful parkland and are the ideal place to enjoy a drink on your own deck overlooking your private lake. Take some time relaxing in one of the luxurious spas in the area. If you want more active pursuits, there are many so come with appropriate footwear and clothing. Local activities include bike hire, water-skiing, wake-boarding, sailing, canoeing, golf, polo, etc and there is excellent shopping offered in the nearby Roman town of Cirencester.View The Lodges
Little Horseshoe Lake is one of 174 lakes that were man-made gravel pits and date back to the 1950's and cover a large area from South Cerney to Lechlade. Our lake is one of the first excavations and is divided into two smaller lakes - a carp lake and a trout lake, which are surrounded by mature trees and the River Churn which runs into the River Thames. South Cerney is an ancient village that received its Charter in AD 999. There are 3 local pubs, a Fish and Chip shop and an Indian restaurant, also a Co-op Supermarket and Post Office.
Cirencester is the 'heart' of the Cotswolds and is only 3 miles away. It is a large market town with a small market on Fridays and Saturdays and has a wide variety of shops, boutiques and cafes. It was a thriving settlement even before the Romans arrived and several of the sites that have been excavated are open to the Public. The Corinium Museum in Cirencester is an excellent place to find out about the rich and fascinating history of the area.View The Lodges
In Walking distance there are the Gateway Cafe offering delicious homemade breakfasts and lunch and the Lakeside Brasserie on Spring Lake offering casual breakfast, lunch and dinner.
In Cirencester there are many cafes, also for dining we recommend the Cote Brasserie at 4 Black Jack Street (01285 657 698), and the Kings Head Hotel in the Market Place(01285 700 900). We also enjoy eating at the Thai Emerald restaurant at 36 Castle Street (01285 654444), Jesse's Bistro at 14 Black Jack Street(01285 641 497) and I believe Friar Tuck makes delicious fish and chips to go, 64 Dyer Street, 01285 654263.
We are blessed with some excellent gastro-pubs within a 20 min drive, our favourites are:
The Swan at Thyme, Southrop 20 mins, Award-winning pub restaurant serving wonderful home-produced food in a pretty village 01367 850174
The Falcon Inn at Poulton, 8 minutes, food always delicious, excellent chef. 01285 850 878
The Village Inn at Barnsley, 10 minutes, large garden, wood fires, great ambience, 01285 740 421
The Wild Duck at Ewen, 8 mins, quite buzzy and excellent menu. 01285 770310
The New Inn at Coln St Alwyn,17th century coaching inn, about 15 mins, 01285 750 651
The Wheatsheaf Inn at Northleach, Award winning Village pub and restaurant serving seasonal British pub food, very popular, good ambience, 20 mins, 01451 860 244
The Bull Hotel, A Listed Coaching Inn in the Market Square of Fairford, 15 mins. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Excellent local pub with wide menu. 01285 712535
More formal dining:
The Ox Barn Restaurant at Thyme Hotel Southrop, 20 mins, an exquisitely renovated Medieval Barn, serving seasonal produce from their own gardens and locally sourced salmon, trout, poultry, game, beef, lamb, pork and eggs. Worth a visit to the whole complex and enjoy the spa before dinner. Chef is Charlie Hibbert 01367 850174
Barnsley House at Barnsley, 10 mins,Country house hotel set in a celebrated garden. The Potager restaurant has menus using local produce. 01285 740000
A short walk to the Cotswold De Vere Hotel, 20 minutes to the Spa at Thyme in Southrop - superb!, 10 minutes to the Spa at the Kings Head Hotel in Cirencester, 10 minutes to the Spa at Barnsley House Hotel.
There are walking paths around the lakes, bicycle hire, and the Recreation Lake next door hires canoes,kayaks, sailboats, windsurf, stand-up paddling, and offers SUP Fit and open Water Swimming. There are water-ski lakes nearby offering boat towing or cable skiing. There is also an archery range, air rifle lessons, zombie shooting paint-balls, etc. The South Cerney Golf Course is open to the public and has a covered driving range, and cafe as well and is approximately 2 miles away. The Talland School of Equitation offers riding lessons from beginners to advanced and is approximately 4 miles away 01285 740155. In Summer you can go and watch Polo at Cirencester Park.
All these activities and many more are offered in your copy of the Cotswold Water Park Leisure Map.
The Trout lake has both rainbow and brown trout, fishing from the bank.
The Carp lake has Common Carp and Mira Carp up to 40lb, also some Tench, Roach and Pike. Lots of fun for the serious fisherman.
Just over a mile away there is an excellent Tackle shop called The Tackle Den open 7 days a week, they have everything for the angler including, serious kit for the experienced carp fisherman, fresh bait, etc. and are pleased to help with local fishing knowledge. 01285 862716.
Rules and Conditions
Anglers are required to read, understand and agree to abide by these rules prior to starting fishing. Fish care and safety is paramount. We welcome all good anglers who want to catch high quality good conditioned Carp.All anglers are expected to follow any advice or and required to action requests from the fishery management concerning fish safety. On arrival you are asked to confirm you have understood and will abide by the rules. We do not provide any of the fishing equipment.
1. Anglers fish at their OWN RISK. The Owners/Manager/Company do not accept any liability for injury to anglers or their party, or theft or damage to anglers’ property.
2. Only anglers and visitors who have booked are allowed on the property. Any unauthorised visitors will be asked to leave immediately.
3. Vehicles must be parked in the car park, must not be driven off road.
4. The Lodges are strictly No Smoking.
5. No dogs or any other domestic Pets are allowed. No children are allowed.
6. No swimming or wading in the Lakes under any circumstances.
7. Bedchairs and fishing chairs are not allowed in the Lodges as they damage the floors.
8. The boat is strictly for use by the owner.
9. The owner’s property is to be protected at all times. Any damages should be reported immediately to the Manager/Host.
10. All litter must be removed.
11. Disposable BBQ’s are permitted but they must be kept away from the decking’s area.
12. All anglers to have the required number of Environment Agency fishing licences.
13. Only 3 tents/shelter are allowed.
Carp Lake Fishing
1. Absolutely NO SACKS or keep nets allowed at any time.
2. No fish are to be introduced or removed from the lake.
3. Maximum of 3 Rods per angler. If two anglers are sharing a Lodge then a strict two rods per angler limit applies.
4. Bait Boats are allowed. Please stay within the area of your swim/pitch and fish sensibly.
5. Fishing with rods and poles only – no hand lines no fly fishing.
6. Coarse pellet only – may be purchased from the tackle shop.
7. No floating or surface baits, no dog biscuits.
8. BREAD MAYBE USED ONLY AS A HOOK BAIT - IT MUST BE COMPRESSED AND SUNK.
9. No meat of any kind including cat dog and luncheon meat.
10. No braid allowed.
11. Unused bait must not be left on the banks – remove all unused bait and litter.
12. No fishing more than half way across the lake.
13. No fixed leads or feeders – must be free running.
14. Strictly no Peanuts or Tiger Nuts at any time. Sweetcorn is allowed.
15. No Shelf Life Boilies to be used as feed (whole or crushed). Pop-ups and hook baits are allowed.
16. No screw in rod pods or bank sticks.
17. No Maggots to be taken into the Lodges. Maggot clips are not allowed.
18. Swingers or some other form of bite indication on the line as well as audible alarms must be used.
19. Audible alarms by the lake should not be used on full volume whilst Receivers in theLodges can be as loud as you like! All alarms must have a receiver.
20. During Spawning periods anglers must comply with any request to stop angling or to fish in areas without spawning activity. As soon as activity is stopped Anglers will be invited to recommence fishing. We do not anticipate any issue fromanglers to comply with this rule as it is to reduce Carp stress and preventfoul hooking at a time when they are pre-occupied and not feeding.
21. No anglers under 18 allowed. Anglers must be experienced to fish @ LHL because of the difficulty and size of the Carp.
22. Anglers must use the Carp Cradle/ weigh slings and unhooking mats. Under no circumstances should fish be removed from the area of the cradle unless being put back in using the weigh sling. All photos must be taken on the bottom deck with the Carp being held above the Carp Cradle.
23. Fish must always be transported from the Carp Cradle back to the water in the sling.Under no circumstances should a fish be carried in your arms.
24. All fish should be returned as soon as possible. The sacking of fish is NOT allowed at any time.
25. A Large Landing Net (Minimum 42 inch) must be used. No other Landing Nets are allowed.
26. Barbless hooks are to be used at all times.
27. Minimum breaking strain line of 15lb must be used for Carp fishing. This line should reasonably new as old-line breaks. Lighter line is allowed if you are clearly fishing for other species of fish.
28. Rigs must be safe with the lead able to eject if the fish gets snagged. Korda style clips are acceptable but the rubbers must not be forced down too tightly preventing the lead from ejecting.
29. Zig rigs must have a minimum of 15 lb hook length line.
30. Anglers must not leave their rods in the water unattended i.e. the angler must not be more than 15 meters away.
31. No fixed leads or any other ‘death rig’.
32. No baitedrigs to be left on the rods when not in use. This is dangerous to wildlife.
33. Klink- Inor similar for treatment of hook and other marks is encouraged and appreciated.
34. Some form of bite indication must be used. (e.g. swingers).
35. Any angler not fishing with the correct equipment will be expected to purchase locally the missing items.
Whilst alcohol is not banned from site, drunken behaviour will not be tolerated. No shouting, loud music or anti-social behaviour. Please use the toilet facilities. When setting rods on alarms, please use your off switch to maintain the quiet on the lake. Alarms should be used at moderate levels. Any serious breach or repeated breach of the above will result in guests being asked to leave immediately with no refund.
'If possible, this place is even better in real life! We stayed here for a romantic weekend and it didn’t disappoint! The lodge is perfectly positioned nestled amongst the lakes with the beautiful woodland giving you the right amount of privacy, making you feel like you’re completely alone with a beautiful view of the lakes! The interiors are done to a high spec, with beautiful decor and plenty of light throughout the lodge. Florina made us feel so welcome with little touches including flowers and a birthday cake and was always quick to respond to any questions we had as well as recommend local walks and pubs.'